Tuesday, 25 June 2013

Feature: Angus Powell (25/06/13)



Angus Powell

Genre: Folk, Acoustic
From: Mid Wales

Angus is a unique singer/songwriter from the UK, he's recieved airplay on BBC Radio and released his debut EP 'Monsters' in 2012.




General Questions...

1. How old were you when you started getting involved in music and how? 
I was very young. I grew up in 'The Land of Song' (Wales). I used to perform in the Eisteddfods and also attempted to learn the violin, piano and saxophone. I started writing soon after - the guitar came much later.

2. What was the first gig/concert/festival you went to?
Can't remember the first but I remember the most inspiring gig I ever went to - Tracy Chapman live at Manchester Apollo. This is when I decided to get a guitar!

3. What have you been listening to lately? 
I listen to all sorts, it's all about klyrics for me. There are some great new artists getting much deserved recognition in the UK - it's really good to see - there is hope in the industry. Passenger, Tom Oddell, Ben Howard, James Vincent McMorrow to name a few.

3 Questions for Angus...

1. Name 5 things you can't live without... 
Wales/Home - my inspiration
Guitar - carry one everywhere
Laptop - my world
Green Tea :)
Microphone - AKG 414 - used on all recording - vocals/guitars/glock etc.

2. If you could duet with anyone, dead or alive, who would you choose? 
Johnny Cash.

3. For people that have never heard your music, explain your sound in 5 words... 
Real, honest, exposed, atmospheric, haunting.

Random Q from a Reader... 

Where do you get your inspiration from? (from Philippa)
I find inspiration in all kinds of places. I've travelled a lot and do a lot of writing on the road. I don't write well in the city - this I do know for sure. Wales is where I recorded the 'Monsters EP'. The cover picture was behind my home - perfect place for sitting, playing and writing.

Any other things you'd like to share/say?
So, my debut EP 'Monsters' is available online or as limited edition signed copy. Here are the links:
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/monsters-ep/id553377489
Hard Copy: http://www.anguspowell.bigcartel.com

And here are my social media links - door is always open!
Facebook: www.facebook.com/anguspowellmusic
Twitter: www.twitter.com/anguspowell
YouTube: www.youtube.com/gusspowell
Website: www.anguspowell.com
:)


Check It Out!

Chart: La La La ft. Sam Smith - Naughty Boy

'La La La' is the second single from Naughty Boy's debut album, Hotel Calbana (2013). It peaked at #1 on the UK Charts and just over a month after its release, it's still in the Top 10. The track features vocals from signer/songwriter Sam SMith, who has appeared in the charts previously on Disclosure's 'Latch'. 


Live Performance: Bang Bang with Leah McFall - will.i.am

'Bang Bang' was performed on The Voice UK Final, as Leah's duet with her coach, will.i.am. The song, by will.i.am was released as the fourth single from his fourth solo album '#willpower'  (2013) and is also featured on the soundtrack album of the recent film, The Great Gatsby.


Cover: Teenage Dirtbag - Frank Hamilton

'Teenage Dirtbag' originally by American group Wheatus, released July 2000, has always been a well-known song. For Wheatus to then say Frank's cover is 'absolutely gorgeous', it should give you a reason to have a listen. Frank performed this cover at a few of the gigs, whilst supporting Lewis Watson on his Extended UK Tour recently. 

  

Thanks for reading! 
Links:
www.facebook.com/MusicInTimeBlog 
www.twitter.com/musicintimeblog
Enquiries: muscintimeblog@gmail.com

-Photo: www,sourcemodels.co.uk
-Videos: via YouTube 

No comments:

Post a Comment