Tuesday, 15 October 2013

Feature: Jemma Johnson (15/10/13)

Jemma Johnson

Jemma is an unsigned artist from Leeds. She's been uploading videos on YouTube since the start of 2010 and is now in the process of sorting her new EP! Jemma has also had the opportunity to write music for a short film recently, which can be found on her FB page.





General Questions... 

1. How old were you when you first started getting involved in music and how? 
I was around 15 years old when I started getting into music seriously. I remember writing three songs in one night after listening to 'Love Story' by Taylor Swift and after that I began gigging and playing at local open mic nights. A couple of years after that, I started uploading covers to my YouTube channel and now I'm finally recording my first official EP!

2. What was the most inspiring gig/concert/festival you've been to? 
I went to Kina Grannis about a year ago and it was honestly better than any other show I've been to, including all the major atists I've seen. She's so inspiring to me because she's proven that you can be succesful without the help of a record label.
I remember one song in particular where she put her microphone to one side and played a song completely acoustic out into the audience. It was so intimate and reminded me what music's really about.

3. What have you been listening to lately? 
I've been listening to Lorde, HAIM and John Mayer. It's been a great summer for my music collection because all my favourite artists are releasing new music!

3 Questions for Jemma...

1. If you could see anyone, dead or alive, who would you choose and why?
I think it would have to be Kina Grannis. She's an amaznig musician but she also comes across as a lovely, caring person, so it would be lovely to meet her.

2. What cover did you most enjoy recording and uploading? 
This is a tricky one... I think it's got to be 'Youth' by Daughter. I made my own percussion instruments for this one, which included using my owl ornament as one of the rhythm parts, it was really fun!

3. What songwriting process did you go through with 'Say No'? 
Normally, I write songs quite quickly but this one took me some time and I'm just about happy with it! The song is about accepting that there's still things I can't do. I realised that I've managed to accomplish a lot of my fears but it's the easier things I find the hardest to do, like saying no to work, friends, family etc.

Random Q from a Reader... 

What TV show do you wish was still shown? (from Jay)
I can't say I'm the biggest TV fan and all the shows I used to watch are all pretty much still on. Although, I watched Breaking Bad all the way through and I don't know what to do with myself now!

Any other things you'd like to share/say?
I'm working on my EP at the moment but for now, if you want to listen to 'Say No' you can download it for free! (in links section below)
If you want to hear more of my music or covers on YouTube then follow the links below!
Jemma :)

Reviews of 'Say No' by Jemma Johnson:

1. Tracy: 4/5 - I like the emotion and rawness.

2. Lailana: 3.5/5 - she's so chill yet she shows so much emotion! Lave it!

3. Francesca: 2.5/5 - nice voice, but I guess I prefer male vocals and guitar bit basic for me.



Jemma's Links: 
FB: https://www.facebook.com/JAJMusic‎
Twitter: https://twitter.com/JemmaJMusic
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/JemmaAJohnson

Check It Out! 

Chart: Summer - Frank Hamilton 

This hasn't been in the top 40 singles chart, but the Summer EP made it to #2 in the singer/songwriter album chart and also peaked at #27 in the main album chart. Frank Hamilton is known for his silly ideas, the track 'Summer' was came from one of these! It was Week 36 in his #OneSongAWeek project. 


Live Performance: Roots - Orla Gartland

'Roots' is the title track for her upcoming debut EP. She has released the music video for it, which has already reached over 25,000 views. Her debut EP is set to be released on 11th November, and she has just released dates for her headline tour in February next year. 


Cover: Summertime Sadness - Josh Record

'Summertime Sadness' originally by Lana Del Rey, released June 2012. It reached #4 in the UK Singles Chart. Josh Record's cover includes lots of harmonising vocals, making it a relaxing song to chill to with a hot chocolate on a cold day.  


Classic: Livin' On A Prayer - Bon Jovi

The number one sing-a-long song! 'Livin' On A Prayer' became Bon Jovi's signature song and made it to #1 in the UK Rock Chart and #4 in the UK Singles Chart. 'Livin' On A Prayer' was also voted #1 on the C4 music channel show 'U Choose 40' on the 80s Icons list. 


Thanks for reading! 
Links:
Twitter: @musicintimeblog

No comments:

Post a Comment