Wednesday, 23 April 2014

Feature: Aiden Best (23/04/14)


Aiden Best is a solo acoustic artist from Wolverhampton, playing Wolverhampton's famous Wulfrun Hall and Liverpool's World famous Cavern Club numerous times, and enjoyed trips to London to discuss the band's future with various labels, as well as two sets in the world famous Hyde Park as part of the BT London Live festival in celebration of the London 2012 Olympics.

General Questions...

1. How old were you when you started getting involved in music and how? 

I'd say I was around 11 when I got into music seriously, it was kind of an accident too, I mean I've always loved music and got into bands like Green Day when I was nine or ten, but my brother and I always had this competitive thing when we were kids and we'd always get the same Christmas presents, one year he decided he wanted a guitar and naturally, so did I. I wasn't expecting it to grip me as much as it did, and then I started getting involved in bands and writing songs and then the rest is mediocre Wolverhampton history.

2. What is the most inspiring gig/concert/festival you've been to?
I've lost track of the amount of gigs I've been to, so it's hard to narrow it down to just one. But I think the most inspiring for would have to be seeing Green Day back in 09 on their 21st Century Breakdown tour. My brother and I queued for about six hours and the whole night was just awesome. After that night, I knew that being a musician was all I'd ever want to be.

3. What have you been listening to lately?
I listen to an absolute tonne of music, and lately, strange as it seems I've been listening to a lot of Jay-Z (don't judge too much!). Other than that, I don't go a day without listening to The Gaslight Anthem, and other listening pleasures of mine also include Jake Bugg, Oasis, Arctic Monkeys, Ed Sheeran and almost everything else. Also, I met a girl from Pennsylvania recently at a show we were both playing who goes by the name of Zaria, her EP 'To The Wolves' gets a spin nearly every day, everyone should check that out, lyrically and vocally genius. Zaria will also be on the bill for the In Hopes Of Better Life launch show at The Grainstore, Wolverhampton, April 24th (SHAMELESS PLUG I KNOW).

3 Questions for Aiden...

1. Who influences you, your music and your lyrics?

Without a doubt, my biggest influence is Brian Fallon of The Gaslight Anthem. He's a brilliant lyricist and has a way of capturing what's going on in his life at the time in a way that I can relate to in almost every song he writes. I try and incorporate that in my own songs when I write, because if people can't relate to your songs, there's really no point in writing them.
My lyrics are influenced mainly by things that happen in my life, I like the idea of telling stories through songs. For instance track two off the EP 'Emerald City' is about a good friend I had that moved away for uni, but with the lyrics to that I try to liken what happened there to the story of the Wizard Of Oz 'you're just like Dorothy on the yellow road, I'm like the family that you will leave at home'.

2. Where do you hope to be in three years time?
Not in debt from uni! (We can all wish can't we?) On a serious note I'd quite like to be playing music full time, hopefully all around the world.

3. Which three tracks from your EP 'In Hopes of Better Life' are you most looking forward to sharing and why?
I'm really proud of all the tracks on the EP, especially as it's my debut. Gazz Rogers (producer) did an ace job of getting the best out of the songs, so it's hard to choose three. I'd say 'Every Saturday Night', 'Love Of A Nation' and 'Sing It To Me' are the ones I'm most looking forward to sharing because there's a lot of work that went into instrumentation on those, for instance I play piano quite a lot on these tracks along with lead guitar parts and some vocal harmonies I didn't even know I could do. I think those three tracks showcase me as a musician best, showing people there's more to me than the lad that plays guitar every night. 

Random Q:

Favourite hot drink? 
At the risk of sounding like an alcoholic, I'd have to say mulled wine (only at Christmas, fresh from the German Market in Birmingham!) 



Aiden Best's Links:
'Love Of A Nation' (from Hopes Of A Better Life EP)https://soundcloud.com/aiden-best/aiden-best-love-of-a-nation-in

Thanks for reading! 

Links:  
FB: http://www.facebook.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Twitter: @musicintimeblog
Youtube: 
http://www.youtube.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Enquiries: 
musicintimeblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment