Friday, 18 July 2014

Feature: Heidrik (18/07/14)


Heidrik is a Faroese, Danish and Icelandic singer, songwriter and producer, he's recently been working on his debut single 'Maria's Donkey', which is out now! His music is a mix of new, refreshing sounds with many influences from traditional Faroese music, folk, orchestral pop and electro. 

General Questions:



1. How old were you when you started getting involved in music and how?
I sang a lot when I was a child but then puberty come...couldn't hit a note for many years.
I was about sixteen I think. After I got my voice back. Puberty is a bitch on boys when it comes to the voice hehe! So ya since sixteen I've been working hard :)

2. What is the most inspiring gig/concert/festival you've been to?
I saw Bjork in 2004 at the Roskilde Festival in Denmark. I was blown away. Can still remember the awesome feeling I felt inside after the concert was over. It was breathtaking. I was a big fan of Bjork when I was a kid so for me seeing her for the first time was huge. 

3. What have you been listening to lately?

I've been been listening a lot to Lorde lately. I think she's great! Love her sound and attitude and she's only seventeen! amazing!

3 Questions for Heidrik:

1. For people that haven’t heard your music, how would you describe  your sound in five words?
I guess I would call it pop but still a bit alternative. Cinematic and atmospheric I would say.

2. Where in the world would you most like to perform and why?
Well it doesn't matter WHERE for me...more if there is people who want to hear me I would appreciate it. I like small venues. Intimate venues :)

3. How did you create the image and sound of ‘Maria’s Donkey’?
Well it was the story that I made that sort of set the mood. I like having a precise picture in my head what the song is about so I can create an atmosphere that I think fits. It's easier for me. I would imagine it's a bit like when a film maker comes over to a film composer saying "hey I want music for a murdering shower scene - can you do that?". This is sort of how I work. I get a subject and I work out from that. So Maria's Donkey is something quite ancient and mystical...holy as well. So I wanted to make something fragile like the donkey but still grand. A mix of the two :) I wrote the song on guitar and I played it in a bit medieval way - pizzicato. Then Janus Rasmussen my producer came and the produced the rest with me. So I we got Rosabella Gregory to make some string arrangements that where pizzicato at first then full on strings. I think we sort of got what we aimed for- fragile still big :)

Random Question:

Late nights or early mornings?
LATE NIGHTS!!!!!! HATE early mornings. I live like a jazz singer ;)

'Maria's Donkey' Review:

This magical, haunting track is one that grows throughout the song. Starting with just strings and chilling vocals and finishing with more layers including percussion and more strings. Personally, I think this track deserves a lot of recognition for the unique sound and mix of genres, Heidrik brings a fresh sound that I love! He also manages to intertwine a fairytale like story into the lyrics, which adds to his skill of musicality and creates a cinematic image with his song.  


Heidrik's Links:


Music In Time's Links:
FB: http://www.facebook.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Twitter: @musicintimeblog
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Enquiries: musicintimeblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment