Tuesday, 19 August 2014

Feature: Sleeping At Last (19/08/14)


Sleeping At Last is the alias of singer/songwriter, producer and composer, Ryan O'Neal. Popular TV shows and Films, such as Breaking Dawn Pt. I, Fault In Our Stars (trailer), Grey's Anatomy, So You Think You Can Dance, Bones and lots more have used Sleeping At Last's music to capture the ears of the viewers. Sleeping At Last has performed alongside Christina Perri, Switchfoot, Alanis Morrisette and more, as well as collaborating with many other talented people. Ryan's currently the composer for the TV show 'Kid President: Declaration of Awesome', as well as working on Atlas: Year Two, after the success of previous projects 'Yearbook' and 'Atlas: Year One'. 

General Questions:

1. How old were you when you started getting involved in music and how?
I got my first guitar when I was about 13 years old. My parent's were kind enough to give it to me as a Christmas present. (Before Christmas, I discovered where they were hiding it in the house, so when they were away, I'd sneak in and play it! So I got in some early practice!) After Christmas, I taught myself how to play and started a couple of bands with friends and shortly after, I fell in love with writing my own songs. For me, music definitely started as something fun to do, but a few years into it, I found myself obsessed with the craft of songwriting and realised the power music can have to deeply move people. So ever since, I've been completely in love and fascinated with it.

2. What is the most inspiring gig/concert/festival you've been to?
I'd say my favourite concert I've ever attended was seeing Bjork play at the Lyric Opera House in Chicago! She was amazing! She was on tour for my favourite record of hers, 'Vespertine' and played with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and it was all absolutely perfect! 

3. What have you been listening to lately?
A lot of my all time favourites lately... Billie Holiday, Nick Drake, Nina Simone, Radio head etc. I've recently been appreciating the latest Vampire Weekend record too... and Other Lives too! 

3 Questions for Ryan:

1. You've created/recorded a lot of music for several TV shows/films, but what would be your dream TV show/film to create a theme for and why?
That's a fun question!! Hmm... for TV, I'd say it's be a dream come true to write for Mad Men, or if Breaking Bad was still on air... or Game of Thrones! For movies, my dream is to one day write for a Pixar film!! Goodness, I'd love that! 

2. If you could invite three people, dead or alive to dinner, who would you choose and why?
I'd send invitations to Jesus, Walt Disney and Mahatma Gandhi... I feel like I could learn an awful LOT about life, storytelling and kindness from that dinner! Whew. 

3. Your ATLAS: Year One project is a unique one, following the origins of life, how did you come up with idea of creating those EPs/album and does the content of the track link to the title?
A few years ago I came with the idea of writing, recording and releasing three songs every month for a year (36 songs in total). I called that project, 'Yearbook'. It was meant to challenge me creatively and push me towards working harder and writing better and writing a LOT more music that I ever had before. (I used to be a VERY slow writer!) It was super challenging, but I loved it and it resulted in a way of releasing music that I really valued and enjoyed... so in the footsteps of 'Yearbook', I began my 'Atlas' project... which is another large-scale project, but this time it's a thematic series of releases, and singles, 'Atlas' thematically tells the story of the origins of the universe and our existence in it. 
For example, the project begins with the theme. 'Darkness' which represents a time before anything in our universe existed... the unknown. The next EP in the series, 'Light' represents the beginning of our universe. 'Space' explores each of the planets in our solar system, 'Land' zooms the imaginary camera in to Earth, and 'Oceans' explores our world's oceans... all of that represents 'Atlas: Year One', the first year of the project... 30 songs in all. 'Atlas: Year Two' begins now and revolves around the theme of 'Life'. 

Random Q from a Reader:

If you could do one thing to change the world overnight, what would it be? (from Lailana)
Hmm... Anything? I'd somehow put pure empathy in the hearts of everyone in the world. If people could truly feel the weight of each other's joys and burdens, maybe through our combined strength and willingness, we could fix many of our world's issues - poverty, hunger, sickness... maybe this would excel our efforts in finding cures for diseases. And of course, an equal and shared pure empathy towards one another would certainly results in world peace. 

'Atlas: Year One':

Atlas: Year One, includes the EPs 'Darkness', 'Light', 'Space I', 'Space II', 'Land' and 'Oceans'. Personally I am obsessed with all of Sleeping At Last's music, however, 'Space I & II' are the sections of the album that stand out most to me. The lyrics stand out to me, the vocals and harmonies are beautiful, with piano and percussion adding to the builds of the tracks. There are strings, drums, piano, heavenly vocals and deep lyrics intertwined to make the stunning sound of this collection of songs. If you're a fan of Bon Iver, Sigur Ros or Josh Record, I'd definitely suggest having a listen - and if you're not - you should listen anyway! 


Sleeping At Last's Links:

Check It Out!

Chart: Crazy Stupid Love ft. Tinie Tempah - Cheryl Cole

Recorded by Cheryl Cole and featuring British rapper Tinie Tempah, 'Crazy Stupid Love' was released on 18th July (2014) as the lead single from Cheryl's upcoming fourth studio album 'Only Human'. It has been performed live three times, on Britain's Got Talent, Graham Norton Show and at Capital's Summertime Ball, and it's done well in the charts, peaking at #1 in the UK Singles Chart, and in Ireland & Scotland. (Fun fact: this was originally recorded by Australian artist Kylie Minogue  but was branded too pop!)


Live Performance: Liar - Kimberly Anne

Kimberly Anne has been performing at a long string of festivals, and has a few gigs set up around the country for the rest of the year. Having been a spotlight artist here on Music In Time, we like to keep up to date with her music, and she's already announced her next release, which will be a four track EP called 'Liar'. Here's 'Liar' live in session, what more could you want that Kimberly's insane musicality, drums and a loop pedal? Enjoy! 


Cover: Get Lucky - Daughter

'Get Lucky', originally by Daft Punk, featuring Pharrell Williams. It was released as the lead single from Daft Punk's fourth studio album and went Top 10 in over 30 countries. Here it is covered by European indie folk band, Daughter, their album 'If You Leave' is definitely one to check out by the way... 


Youtube: Cold ft. Fryars - Rae Morris

I didn't know where to put this one, but seeing as I discovered it on Youtube and is from an upcoming artist - I thought I'd put it here. Rae Morris has featured on Bombay Bicycle Club & Clean Bandit tracks and is becoming more popular amongst upcoming artists, I love this catchy track, and she is receiving radio play on BBC 1 with her track 'Closer'. 


Thanks for Reading! 

Music In Time's Links:
FB: http://www.facebook.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Twitter: @musicintimeblog
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Enquiries: musicintimeblog@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    did you consider about create piano sheets for Atlas Space I and II? I would like to buy piano sheets for Moon for example or Saturn. You know, create a piano arrangement. It will take a lot of time, I know, but fans will appreciate it :-) - and my boyfriend too ;-)

    ReplyDelete