Tuesday, 27 January 2015

What I'm Listening To (27/01/15)

Sooooo, it's been a while since I've posted a 'What I'm Listening To' post and I feel like this one has a good mix of genres... I rediscovered a whole load of albums from my childhood over Christmas, so expect a couple of mid 00s tracks, as well as some newer ones - of course. 

1. Am Gone – Adult Jazz
I’m still confused as to why I hadn’t listened to this brill band much before, but the more I listen to them, the less guilty I feel. If you like Bombay Bicycle Club, I’m sure you’ll like Adult Jazz, but expect deeper meaning and a more flexible structure to the usual guitar-bass-drum set up, which is a fresh idea and I like it, along with the overall concept of Adult Jazz.


2. Last Hope – Paramore
It wasn’t until a couple of months ago, that I got their latest album and have had it on repeat, being a car CD for a few weeks. I like most of the tracks, specifically this one, ‘Ain’t It Fun’ and ‘Now’. The album itself is a good mix of a usual ‘Paramore’ sound but it also explores a newer style, with ukulele interludes – I like it! (Also this live performance of the track - YESSSSS)


3. God's Whisper – Raury
After featuring Raury in my Sound of 2015, I’ve had a couple of his tracks on repeat, but I keep going back to this one. The overall vibe is chilled and so catchy, with claps and group vocals backing and building throughout the track. I’m also a big fan of the music video.


4. Real Thing – tUnE-yArDs
I know I mentioned them in my Best of 2014 but I’ve listened to tUnE-yArDs A LOT in the last couple of months, which I guess backs up their position in that post. I really enjoy their layered percussion, vocals and well-written lyrics etc. and have been enjoying their latest album ‘Nikki Nack’, especially ‘Real Thing’, ‘Hey Life’ and ‘Sink-O’. The creativity is also out of this world...


5. I’m With You – Avril Lavigne
One of the albums I rediscovered was ‘Let Go’ by Avril Lavigne, one of my all-time favourite albums, so I’ve been listening to that a lot. It was surpringly hard to choose a song to put into this WILT but I decided on the one I’ve also been playing on guitar a fair bit too. Ahh nostalgia.


6. Lose Yourself – Eminem
I’ve also revisited Eminem recently, and having watched 8 Mile all the way through (at last), this song fitted the choice well. Also, when you know all the words to a fair few of his songs, especially this one, I think it’s fair to say you’ve listened to them enough, but I don’t get bored of Eminem’s verses and I’ve recently picked up his latest album, so will be listening to that too.


7. Small Things – Ben Howard
‘I Forget Were We Are’ was one of my favourite albums from 2014, and I still listen to it as much as I did when I first got it. The overall unique sound of Ben and his guitar is almost addictive, this is up there with my favourite track from the album, however my favourites change depending what I’m doing or how I’m feeling, and I can easily listen to the whole of the album on repeat.


8. Drop The Game – Flume & Chet Faker
I’m a big fan of both Flume and Chet Faker and I’ve been listening to them both over the last couple of months; so if they joined forces, great music would be made. Correct and here is the product released, as well as the ‘Lockjaw EP’.


9. The Hanging Tree – James Newton Howard ft. Jennifer Lawrence
Around New Years, I went to go see Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 at the cinema, the score of the film really stood out to me, as it does in most films, as the music can intensify scenes etc. However, James Newton Howard did a brilliant job composing the score for ‘The Hanging Tree’ and I’ve had it stuck in my head for quite a while now, Jennifer also did a brilliant job on vocals and it did well in the charts, which is an added bonus right?!


10. Coffee – Sylvan Esso

Another catchy song, that I keep getting stuck in my head and is one of my favourite electronic songs at the minute. I can’t really think what else to say about this one apart from give it a listen, slow-mo rave a long and feel chilled out!   


What have you been listening to lately? 

Music In Time's Links:
FB: http://www.facebook.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Twitter: @musicintimeblog
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Enquiries: musicintimeblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment