Wednesday, 27 May 2015

What I'm Listening To... (27/05/15)

The past couple of months have included a trip to see Amber Run headline Scala with Meadowlark and Rhodes supporting, revising for final exams and leaving full time education. There have been some chilled songs mixed in with throwbacks and then summer upbeat style tracks, probably one of the biggest mix of genres and a fairly big timeline skip this time round, so enjoy! 

1. 5AM - Amber Run
I've been following Amber Run for a while now and when they announced their debut album, I pre-ordered trusting that it would be just as good as their previous releases, and it was. Having also seen them live at the end of last month and seeing this song in particular performed with such emotion and rawness, it's been on repeat. Everything makes it such a stunning song and it was difficult to have dry eyes after their performance. 



2. Kings and Queens - Thirty Seconds To Mars
I've always been a strong listener of Thirty Seconds To Mars, in particular the 'This Is War' album, however, I hadn't listened to them in a while and after picking up Rocksound with the Worship and Tributes CD in, I fell back in love. You Me At Six covered it, and that (if you can find it anywhere) is really worth listening to but nothing beats this original. Jared Leto really is a musical genius. 


3. Worry - Jack Garratt
Another song I've had on repeat is 'Worry' by the incredibly talented Jack Garratt. I'm definitely excited about seeing him live at Barn on the Farm this year, should be a great show. It hasn't just been this song either, the majority of his songs are brilliantly crafted and layered ahhhh just have a listen, this is him performing at The Great Escape this year.  


4. Dial Tones - As It Is
As I mentioned in my last WILT post, I am and always have been really into pop punk music. As It Is are easily my favourite current pop punk band. This song is from their debut album 'Never Happy, Every After' and it often gets played pretty loud in my car, usually with me shouting along too. 


5.  Retrogade - James Blake
When I've been chilling in the evenings or attempting to sleep at 2am, James Blake has been my go-to. 'The Wilhelm Scream' helping with chilled evenings, 'Overgrown' helping with the latter and 'Retrogade' for the in-between moments. The whole of his 'Overgrown' album is brilliant and I'm looking forward to 'Radio Silence' his third album, hopefully being released at some point this year... 


6. Ironic - Alanis Morissette
One of the many throwback tracks I've been listening to is this golden song, when the chorus comes along, you have to singalong. I've been listening to Alanis Morissette so much I ended up getting the 'Jagged Little Pill' album yesterday, so I'll enjoy spending many hours listening to that. Oh and traffic when you're already late isn't ironic, it's just flipping annoying!


7. Fire - Natasha North
Another from my chilled/sleep playlist, mix Rae Morris, Lauren Aquilina and Meadowlark together and you'll get the wonderful sound of Natasha North. I've had this song stuck in my head a lot recently, humming it without even realising it half the time. It's a great song, with stunning vocals and  beautifully written lyrics and an overall brilliant sound. 


8. This Is Gallifrey/Vale Decum - Doctor Who
I'm a bit of a geek, I love Doctor Who. On Saturday, I went to the Doctor Who Symphonic Spectacular at Wembley Arena and it was incredible. To experience the BBC National Orchestra of Wales and BBC National Chorus of Wales bringing Murray Gold's soundtracks to life, was brilliant. (The clip I've linked isn't from the tour, but it gives you a little idea of what it was like.) Some of the songs also help me during revision, so if you're stuck for music, there's a tip for you GCSE and A Level students! 


9. White Sky - Vampire Weekend
I've also revisited Vampire Weekend's 'Contra' album and consequently had it on repeat for the past couple of months. It's a really summery, upbeat album with generally brilliant songs on, there isn't one that I skip and the majority of them get me singing along or tapping my foot. This one in particular gets stuck in my head. 



10. Teenage Dirtbag - Wheatus
The other throwback tune for this post, is the classic 'Teenage Dirtbag', as last week was my last officially in full time education, our leavers video obviously included this song. I also got tickets to their 15th Anniversary Tour in October, so I'm really looking forward to that, even if it is a few months off! 


What have you been listening to lately?

Music In Time's Links:
FB: http://www.facebook.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Twitter: @musicintimeblog
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Enquiries: musicintimeblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment