Monday, 1 June 2015

Feature: Mi'das (01/06/15)


Brighton born but London based singer/songwriter Mi'das a.k.a Mike Davies creates 'soulful pop music'. After leaving school and studying guitar at a music college for two years he began busking, singing and playing at events up and down the country, totalling over 250 gigs and travelling 60,000 miles a year. He's also landed work as a session musician with artists such as Jessie J, Rita Ora, Labrinth, Jamie Cullum and many others. This also led to performances at the O2 Arena, Royal Albert Hall, Hyde Park and Kensington Palace. A songwriter for over 10 years, Mi'das is stepping out from the shadows and has gone on to create a 3 EP project, the 'Story So Far' series, he's just released the final EP 'Stronger'. 2015 is set with gigs all over the country for new audiences and 2016 is looking big with an album release. Mi'das is definitely one to watch. 

General Questions:

1. How old were you when you started getting involved in music and how?
I started when I was 12. My brother was already playing piano and my uncle guitar so I picked up bits from them. I also began to sing at school assemblies when I was quite young and that gave me the performing bug. 

2. What is the most inspiring gig/concert/festival you've been to?
So many! One that stands out right now was when I saw Liane Carroll at a small bar in Hastings at the age of about 18/19. Another one was when I was performing for an artist at Wembley Stadium and got t o see Coldplay right up close. Foy Vance at the Komedia in Brighton was another memorable gig. 

3. Who have you been listening to lately?
Nate Williams, Kwabs, Shakka and Marc Broussard. 

3 Questions for Mi'das:

1. If you could play a show anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
Royal Albert Hall, I've played there with other artists but to play my own music in a place with such incredible history and so close to my heart for the shows I've seen there, would be amazing. 

2. What has been your career highlight so far and why does it stand out to you?
Playing a set at the London Shepherds Bush Empire this year, it's long been a dream of mine and my next goal will be to play my own show there!

3. Did your 'Story So Far' series start out as a trilogy or did it naturally progress that way?
I had the concept and vision for the full series right from the get go but didn't finish the final EP until after the 'Grow EP' (second to last) was already out. 

Random Q:

If you could invite three people round for dinner, who would you ask and why?
Stephen Fry, for his wit and knowledge, I'd pick his brains. 
Stevie Wonder, just because. I'd probably uncontrollably hug him the whole time (awkward). 
Richard Branson, for his vision and way with people, I think he'd be a great guy to have a pint with. 

'Stronger EP' Review:
The EP opens with 'Wish Road', it starts as an atmospheric track with an almost haunting tone to it and grows into a beautiful song, which is incredibly well written, both lyrically and musically, the layers overlap to create a wonderful sound overall. 'Too Little Too Late' is a soulful pop track, piano accompanies Mi'das' vocals really well and the simplicity of the layers in the intro highlights the lyrics and subtly powerful vocals. The track builds with added guitars and drums into a catchy song with stunning harmonies. Next is 'Vienna' a rockier track, it isn't my favourite from the EP and I prefer the last quarter of the song to the rest - that may be because of the time I listened to the song - but I can imagine it being brilliant live with an audience joining in and singing along. 'Like You Did Then' is a bonus demo that follows on from the previous track, it calms the EP down a bit and is placed well. It's a stunning stripped back song with just guitar, piano and Mi'das' beautiful voice, again this song allows you to focus on the songwriting and the well written lyrics and music. The penultimate track is an Otis Porter Remix of 'Wish Road', it's brilliant and highlights all the great parts of the original as well as emphasising the atmospheric feel and creating an almost tribal/choir underlying sound. The EP closes with a radio edit of 'Vienna' it's cut shorter and seems a little less rock, it doesn't seem as messy for my ears; but again that may have been due to listening in the midst of exams. I prefer this and I feel it closes the EP brilliantly, overall the EP shows the range of Mi'das' musical ability, he's a talented singer/songwriter and musician and this EP shows that well. Enjoy and I'd definitely suggest getting this one. 


Mi'das' Links:

Thanks for reading!

Music In Time's Links:
FB: http://www.facebook.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Twitter: @musicintimeblog
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Enquiries: musicintimeblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment