Monday, 30 November 2015

Feature: Billy Lockett (30/11/15)


Billy Lockett is an indie / alternative pop singer-songwriter from Northampton, UK. Having played his way from the basement to the studio, whilst captivating fans from YouTube to shows up and down the country whilst supporting Lana Del Rey, Nina Nesbitt, KT Tunstall, Birdy, Lucy Rose and many more, it's no surprise that Billy's been attracting attention from some of the biggest names in the industry. With two singles backed by Radio 1 in the past, the only way is up for Billy and his music...

General Questions:

1. How old were you when you started getting involved in music and how?

I first started getting involved in music when I was eight, jamming on the piano with my Dad's band.

2. What is the most inspiring musical performance you've ever seen?
The most inspiring musical performance I've ever seen was Radiohead at Reading Festival. It blew my mind!

3. Who have you been listening to lately?
I've been listening to a lot of Oh Wonder and Frances recently, both incredible!

3 Qs for Billy:

1. What do you hope people gain from your music?

I think most importantly I hope people like the music, I think with my sound you either get it or you don't but either way, I hope the honest comes across. I'm not trying to be anything I'm not, and I think you can hear in my voice that I mean what I'm singing about. I love the sound and style of the music and hopefully that can also reach others the way it's reaching me.

2. You've said your forthcoming EP 'Burn It Down' has been the hardest to make by far, why do you think you found it harder compared to your previous releases?
I think this EP has been the hardest to make because I paid so much attention to detail with this, every word, part and production has been thought intensely about. Before I used to look past the detail and settle for the good, but with this new sound I have made sure the music is EVERYTHING. I hope it comes across in the music.

3. What process did you go through creating the title track 'Burn It Down' and what were your main influences, musically and lyrically?
'Burn It Down' is all about starting again for the better. It's about how going along with something because you've been doing it a long time, it can be destructive and sometimes it's better to stop completely even if it means starting from scratch with something new. I related this to my career although it can easily be related to relationships.

Random Q:

Three things you can't live without?

Sex, piano, cat.

'Burn It Down' Review:
The title track from Billy's next EP 'Burn It Down' is beautiful. His vocals are stunning and powerful over the accompaniment of the piano, and gradually build with the steady beat underlining certain notes. The music video works alongside the song perfectly, bringing the song to life even more. I really cannot wait to hear the rest of Billy's EP, if this is song is anything to go by, it's going to be absolutely fantastic. 



See Billy Live:
25th March: Gullivers, Manchester
26th March: Nice N' Sleazy, Glasgow
28th March: Brudenell Social Club, Leeds
29th March: Louisiana, Bristol
30th March: Borderline, London

Billy Lockett's Links:
Tickets (March Tour): http://www.billylockett.blogspot.co.uk
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/billylockettmusic
Twitter: https://twitter.com/billylockett
YouTube: www.youtube.com/officialbillylockett
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/official-billy-lockett

Thanks for reading!

Music In Time Blog's Links:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Twitter: @musicintimeblog
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Enquiries: musicintimeblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment