Friday, 25 March 2016

Feature: Bitter's Kiss (25/03/16)


Bitter's Kiss is the current project for New Jersey singer / songwriter Chloe Baker, after launching her music career only a year ago, Bitter's Kiss, has already harnessed more than 800k plays on SoundCloud and over 100k likes on Facebook. Chloe garnered international attention for her emotional delivery of songs that deal with complex subjects, influences by the likes of Carole King and Sarah McLachlan and having been compared to Regina Spektor and Lorde, Bitter's Kiss is one to watch and listen out for... 

General Questions:

1. How old were you when you started getting involved in music and how?

I come from a musical family so I have always been surrounded by music. I have done musical theatre since I was 5 years old and have always loved to sing and write. I have a recording studio in my basement because my Dad sings as well. Two summers ago I recorded the first song from my first album. We put the first album on SoundCloud and then we took it from there.

2. What is the most inspiring musical performance you've ever seen?

I saw Lorde play live when she went on tour. I think seeing a young girl up on stage performing and doing what she loves so well inspired me to do the same.


3. Who have you been listening to lately?

I listen to a very wide variety of music. Lately I have been listening to a lot of Tupac, Biggie, and old Kanye West songs as well as bands such as Milky Chance and Vampire Weekend.

3 Qs for Bitter's Kiss:


1. You cover some complex and poignant themes in your songs, what influences your lyrics? 

I draw inspiration from my own thoughts as well as things I see and hear about on the radio and in my daily life. For the most part I just write about anything I am passionate about or that makes me feel something.

2. If you could collaborate with anyone, dead or alive, who would you choose to work with and why?

I think that if I could work with anyone it would be The Beatles. I admire them for their honest lyrics and simple but impactful melodies.

3. What process did you go through creating 'No One Will', both musically and visually?

For writing 'No One Will' it started with a few chords on the guitar. I just wrote it on the spot as I was playing the chords. I started it by writing the beginning part that says 'No one will ever love me at all' after writing that verse I thought it would be cool to show the flip side of that idea saying 'No one will ever hurt me'. I thought it would be an interesting way to express the idea of taking precaution when it comes to love because of the damage love can do. For the video, I went to Cork, Ireland to film. We went to different parts of Cork to film it. I have had some experience with acting, so it was fun to use that to visualise my song.

Random Q:


Five songs for a road trip?

'Hometown' - Bruce Springsteen
'Landslide' - Dixie Chicks
'Country Roads' - John Denver
'Bohemian Rhapsody' - Queen
'Dear Mama' - Tupac

'No One Will' Review:
'No One Will' intertwines folk with pop and creates a wonderfully upbeat track, yet holds steady and solemn tones throughout. Chloe's stunning vocals shine through the song alongside the instrumentation. Listening to the song, you float along with the melody, much like a Regina Spektor track, Bitter's Kiss captures a brilliant sound in this song and I can't wait to hear even more from this project. 



Bitter's Kiss' Links:

Thanks for reading!

Music In Time Blog's Links:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Twitter: @musicintimeblog
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Enquiries: musicintimeblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment