Friday, 11 March 2016

Feature: Tim Halperin (11/03/16)


After a successful run on American Idol in 2011, singer-songwriter Tim Halperin, released his debut album 'Rise and Fall', which debuted at #1 on iTunes Singer/Songwriter Chart and his follow up release 'Heart Tells Your Head' (2014) debuted at #2 on the same iTunes chart. Ever since his first release he's built a reputation for consistently releasing songs that draw the listener in due to his ability to capture the full range of emotion. Tim has steadily toured I'm the Southeast and Midwest of America, supporting the likes of The Fray, Blake Shelton, Kelly Clarkson and many more. You may have heard his music on a variety of TV shows including Grey's Anatomy and Gotham amongst others, he's really one to listen to and enjoy! 

General Questions:


1. How old were you when you started getting involved in music and how?

I was 6 years old when I started taking piano lessons. That was my first involvement with music.

2. What is the most inspiring inspiring musical performance you've ever seen?

Probably all three of the Coldplay concerts I've been to. In particular, the first one I went to, which was my sophomore year of high school. It was my first major concert and I was captured by the experience of it. The way the band carried the audience through the concert was wonderful.

3. Who have you been listening to lately?

Lately I've been listening to synths pop. Walk The Moon, The 1975, Troye Sivan. I've also been digging Twenty One Pilots, James Bay, Jon Foreman... a real variety as usual.

3 Qs for Tim:


1. What has been your personal highlight of your musical career so far and why has it stuck with you? 

There are several highlights that stick with me. Anytime a crowd sings along with one of my songs is memorable for me. There was a concert I played in the fall in Columbus, Ohio that was a blast. It seemed like everyone in the venue knew every word to every one of my songs. I can't even begin to explain how good that makes me feel. I write in hopes of other people connecting with my songs, and so my greatest joy comes when that happens.

2. You've gained recent success with your 'Hungry Like A Wolf' cover for the Gotham Season 2 trailer; if you could choose any TV show / film to create a soundtrack for, which would you choose and why?

Lately, I've been watching a lot of TV. My wife and I got really into the show Homeland. The honest truth is 'Friends'. I just love the show and it never gets old. Recently I played the theme song at a concert. How can you be sad after watching 'Friends'?

3. As well as your fantastic original music, you've shared a fair few covers in the past, how do you choose which songs to cover?

I try to cover songs that aren't in my genre and put my own twist on them. Recently I covered 'Lean On' by Major Lazer. It's such a well-written song and I wanted to do a version that brought out the lyrics with minimal production. I think a cover song should be a unique version of a song.

Random Q:


Which album would be the soundtrack to your life so far?

If it's an album I've released, probably 'Heart Tells Your Head' because it has the ups, the downs, the in-betweens. A big piece of my heart went into that record. If it's an album that I didn't write, I would choose 'Continuum' by John Mayer. That album never gets old to me because I resonate so much with the songs. Isn't it funny how the most defining moments of our life often are a result of heartbreak or sadness? The majority of the songs on that record are songs of love lost... but there's a beauty in the brokenness that defines us.



Tim's Links:
Thanks for reading!

Music In Time Blog's Links:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Twitter: @musicintimeblog
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Enquiries: musicintimeblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment