Monday, 13 June 2016

Feature: Corey Bowen (13/06/16)


Corey Bowen is a young, Middlesbrough-born singer/songwriter and multi-instrumentalist. He's been gigging since he was 14; and started sharing music under his own name in 2012 via Bandcamp, recording all the instruments and vocals himself in his bedroom. The end of last year saw Corey release his debut single 'If Birds Wish To Fly' and now he's shared his latest track 'Back To 95'...

General Questions:

1. How old were you when you started getting involved in music and how?
I was about 12 or 13 when I started hearing music a bit differently than I had before and the music I was listening to and all the glamour attached to that inspired me to make my own music. I think it was Nirvana and Morrisey at first, I was trying to copy both of those artists for a while.

2. What is the most inspiring musical performance you've ever seen?
I saw Christopher Owens play his first solo album in it's entirety in this tiny club in Leeds. There wasn't many people there at all but I felt completely connected to the songs all the way through. I think I owe a lot of wanting to do what I do to Christopher. 

3. Who have you been listening to lately?
I've only just got round to listening to Kurt Vile's latest record properly, I love that. I've been listening to Kevin Morby too, he's really good. 

3 Qs for Corey:

1. Out of all the instruments you play, which do you enjoy playing the most and why?
I think guitar. In terms of being a skilled musician I'm very unambitious. It's all about lyrics for me nowadays but I'm best at guitar so that's what I tend to write on most. 

2. What's the most significant thing you've learnt since you started writing at 13?
Two things - firstly, you have to do it for your own reasons and in your own way, not because you think it makes you cool or something. You've gotta put your soul into it and devote your life to it if it's really what you wanna do. And secondly, it's not gonna pay the bills. 

3. You recorded 'Back To 95' at Abbey Road Studios, what was that experience like? 
Surreal, in a word. We were only there for the day unfortunately but it was completely amazing. I didn't get my head round it until a couple of weeks after when I was looking through photos. One of the best experiences of my life. 

Random Q:

Countryside or city? 
Definitely countryside. Cities make me feel like some sort of cog in a machine or something like that, everyone bustling about going off to do whatever it is they need to do. I hate the feeling of having no space, both mentally and physically. I would much prefer countryside. 

'Back To 95' Review:
'Back To 95' is a fantastic indie pop track, perfect for the summer (or brightening those British summer days...) It has a catchy chorus and layered infectious guitar riffs throughout, with Corey's soulful vocals gliding over the track from start to finish. It's a short and very sweet song that's bound to get stuck in your head and stay there for a while! 


Corey's Links:

Thanks for reading!
Music In Time Blog's Links:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Twitter: @musicintimeblog
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Enquiries: musicintimeblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment