Monday, 20 June 2016

Feature: whenyoung (20/06/16)


whenyoung are an alternative pop trio based in London; comprised of Aoife Power (vocals/bass), Niall Burns (vocals/guitar), and Andrew Flood (vocals/drums). They recently played at The Alternative Great Escape and had a show at The Shacklewell Arms in London. Now they've released their debut single 'See How They Run', 2016 is only going to be getting bigger and better for whenyoung. 

General Questions:

1. How old were you when you started getting involved in music and how?
Andrew: Reluctantly probably from the age of eight, willingly from the age of 15, when I started to realise what I liked! 
Niall: I'd loved music since I was a baby but I started playing when I was a teenager, probably around the 'Is This It' came out, like everyone else.
Aoife: My childhood friends and I would start a new band what seemed like every week. There were dance routines, singing into sweeping brushes, and ridiculous lyrics about love even though we were about eight. We were basically trying to be Destiny's Child. 

2. What is the most inspiring musical performance you've ever seen?
Andrew: Umm hard to choose, Mew maybe because I'm a super fan. 
Niall: Whenever I've seen Patti Smith, which is about four or five times at this stage. 
Aoife: When I was 15 I went to see The Pixies and that had a huge impact on me.

3. Who have you been listening to lately?
Andrew: Whitney!
Niall: Yeah, Whitney. Also really like the new LUH record. 
Aoife: I've just started listening to John Martyn and he's really inspiring.

3 Qs for whenyoung:

1. How did you become whenyoung?
Coincidence, timing, chance, fate!

2. Which three countries would you most like to tour and why?
Andrew: Australia, it's so far away which means more inflight movies and free beer and they're just the best aren't they! 
Niall: Japan, ever since Lost In Translation I've had a massive desire to go there. 
Aoife: I'd love to tour the USA. It's got such rich musical history.

3. When writing 'See How They Run', was it a collective effort or did you each have specific roles within the process?
Andrew: We all had specific roles but that song in particular I remember came out of Aoife's head one day in our studio.

Random Q:

Favourite place to eat?
Andrew: Mezcal Cantina in Dalston or anywhere Turkish with that clean, clean rice!
Niall: Maintaining a figure is very important when you're in a rock and roll band so I don't eat. 
Aoife: Al Amin in Bethnal Green or anywhere that serves a Bloody Mary.

'See How They Run' Review:
'See How They Run' is a short, intense burst of sound and energy, a perfect debut track, reeling listeners in and leaving them hungry for more. Their somewhat unique sound combines fuzzy guitars, infectious melodies and catchy chorus, underlining bass complimented by drums and layered strong vocals. 


whenyoung's Links:

Thanks for reading!
Music In Time Blog's Links:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Twitter: @musicintimeblog
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Enquiries: musicintimeblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment