Monday, 25 July 2016

Feature: Laura Roy (25/07/16)


Laura Roy is a singer/songwriter based in Halifax, Nova Scotia. A captivating songwriter, vocalist and college music graduate, Laura has shared the stage with the likes of Canadian RnB sensation Jully Black, JRDN, Ludacris, Rakim and Freddy Gibbs. Laura has also been attending the prestigious Gordie Sampson Songcamp for the past four years, during which she's had the opportunity to write and connect with producers and writers that have worked with the likes of Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande, Lady Gaga and many more... Her latest project contains six songs infused with synth-pop, 90's R'n'B and soul and is the product of the last year and a half's experiences and writing... 

General Questions:

1. How old were you when you started getting involved in music and how?
I always loved music from a very young age but I started singing around age 10 and writing poetry and then eventually began guitar lessons when I was 14. 

2. What is the most inspiring musical performance you've ever seen?
I am always inspired in different ways from seeing live performances. I recently saw the Shrek Musical in Halifax and I was blown away. I was never really exposed to musical theatre growing up and I've still yet to see a lot of musicals so I couldn't believe how talented these people were. I also just saw Chic & Nile Rodgers at a Jazz Festival, which was such a dream for me. I left feeling incredibly inspired. 

3. Who have you been listening to lately?
I am constantly listening to music, new and old. Lately, I have been listening to: DVSN, Anderson. Pack, BJ The Chicago Kid, Sade, Fuse ODG, Drake, Rihanna, Ariana Grande, Peter Tosh, Fela Kuti, Breakout, Kaytranada, Pusha T, Outkast, Skepta, Kehlani. This is literally my search history for the last week. 

3 Qs for Laura:

1. You've shared the stage with some great artists, but who would be your dream person to perform alongside and at which venue? 
Raphael Saadiq. And if I could I would rather just have a jam session with him... somewhere hot... like, Cuba. 

2. Which is your favourite track form your debut self-titled EP and why does it stand out to you?
My favourite track always changes but I will say that I love 'Full Moon'. It was a closure song for me to write and meant a lot to me. I also just love the vibe of the track and really enjoy singing it. 

3. How much has your writing and creative process changed between your first song and your most recent?
Oh gosh, it's changed a lot. I think I am more free and honest in my writing now and I have just developed more skills as a writer from having more experience. 

Random Q:

If you could only listen to three albums for the rest of the year, which would you pick and why?
D'Angelo - Brown Sugar - Because it's my classic go to album. I need an album I can shower to, cook food to, vibe out to, sing to. 
Fuse ODG - TINA - For dancing purposes. 
Drake - Views - Because I love Drake and I love this album. 

'Plastic' Review:
'Plastic' is a great catchy, summery track. Full of punchy, soulful pop and wonderful vocals, it's reminiscent of Tori Kelly. It's a perfect taster for the rest of Laura's synth and electro infused EP. Laura is creating music that would (and should) easily appear in the charts, the influences make it a project that most people would listen to and find at least one track they enjoyed...


Laura's Links:

Thanks for reading!
Music In Time Blog's Links:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Twitter: @musicintimeblog
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Enquiries: musicintimeblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment