Monday, 11 July 2016

Feature: Olivia (11/07/16)


Captivating audiences since the age of 12, Olivia has already accomplished more than most artists twice her age. As one of the top 12 finalists in the 'Our Kids Have Talent' competition, she began building a fanbase early on; her Christmas single 'Christmas For Two' made it into the Top 20 on Canadian radio two years running, garnering her attention from writers and producers in America. 2013 saw her venture out to LA and began working with songwriters and producers, developing a unique sound. Now she releases her debut EP 'Weightless' full of positivity and powerful pop music... 

General Questions:

1. How old were you when you started getting involved in music and how?
I always liked singing when I was little and so I started taking vocal lessons at age 11 to see if I would like it, and I was definitely hooked. After a couple months of lessons, I decided to audition for my very first local music competition called 'Our Kids Have Talent'. I remember wanting to do it so badly, but being terrified once I got there and saw the crowd and the stage. I am so glad I got up there and performed, as things really started after that. I started getting local little gigs, and then a friend of my family took a video of one of my performances and sent it to Sony / ATV writer Andrew Allen, who then had me come out and perform with him, and then he and his wife Julia became my managers. The doors really opened from there, and I started flying our to LA to write songs with Andrew Allen and other amazing artists. 

2. What is the most inspiring musical performance you've ever seen?
I was recently invited by my friend to catch the Hedley concert in Kelowna, and I loved it. They were amazing live. Sometimes when you go to a concert, you can leave a little disappointed when the live performances don't sound like the recorded music. But Hedley was fantastic and pretty inspiring to see how much they seem to love performing. 

3. Who have you been listening to lately?
I feel like my music taste is always changing, and right now I am really into some of the upbeat summer songs that are coming out like JT's 'Can't Stop The Feeling' and Matt Simon's 'Catch & Release'. I am always an Ed Sheeran and Sam Smith fan as well. 

3 Qs for Olivia:

1. Which three countries would you most like to tour and why?
Wow great question, as I love to travel and it would be amazing to be able to perform outside of Canada. I guess I would say Australia, the UK, and the US. I have never been to Australia and it is so far away, but I do have fans from there and also a small community of support for some of my music. So it for sure would be cool to go there. I love the UK. I have been to England and Scotland, and I love the people there. I also have some really great fans from the UK that are often tweeting me and commenting on my YouTube page. And lastly, the US. It would be great to road trip through the US. There are so many different places that I have always wanted to go to, like Nashville and New Orleans. Any of it would be an adventure! 

2. How important do you think promoting self-love and empowerment is, especially in the world of music? 
People listen to music for fun, to get energy, because they are sad, or because they need to be uplifted. I love writing music that can pull you up when you are down. There is nothing better than listening to a song that just makes you feel good and happy, and that reminds you of your value. This industry can be super critical, and there are always those few people who seem to like to share the negative, but for the most part I have found that people are very supportive and there is more good out there than bad. Music should always be something that makes people feel good. 

3. Which is your favourite track from your EP 'Weightless' and why does it stand out to you?
I have to say that I really relate to the lyrics in 'Weightless'. When me co-writer Robin and I sat down to write it, we were both talking about those moments in my life when you feel 'weightless', when everything is good, when you feel so light and optimistic, that it just puts a smile on your face. Those are the moments we have to hang on to, that we often have to remind ourselves of. It is a song that just reminds you to let go of the bad, and move forward with the good. 

Random Q:

If you could invent a chocolate bar, what would you call it and what would it be made of?
Ha ha! I LOVE chocolate? How about 'Weightless' a delicious, no calorie, guilt-free, all milk chocolate bar! The no regrets candy bar. 

'Outshine The Stars' Review:
'Outshine The Stars' is the latest song to be shared as a music video from her debut EP 'Weightless'. At first listen, this is an incredibly catchy pop song, sung by a very talented artist; after a few more listens you pick up on the extremely positive and powerful lyrics, emotion and youthful innocence that shines through. These are all themes that run throughout the rest of 'Weightless' and this song is one of the stand out tracks in my opinion, if you like this one, you'll love the rest of the release too! 


Olivia's Links:

Thanks for reading!
Music In Time Blog's Links:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Twitter: @musicintimeblog
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Enquiries: musicintimeblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment