Monday, 9 January 2017

Feature: ESSIE (09/01/17)


ESSIE is the new dreamy indie/pop solo project from Melbourne based singer/songwriter, Jess Holy. Having spent time writing and recording in the UK over the past couple of years, ESSIE has big plans to release a debut EP this year. The debut track 'Electric Wires', which was release 9th December (2016) was the first step towards that goal... 

General Questions:

1. How old were you when you started getting involved in music and how?
I think if I really look back I was always really interested in music as a kid. I played the flute and piano in primary school and was in a few choirs here and there. Then in high school I started to teach myself guitar and started writing songs.

2. What has been the most inspiring musical performance you've ever seen?
I recently saw Missy Higgins with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra which was pretty magical!

3. Who have you been listening to lately?
Fiona Apple lately actually. And I’m always listening to amazing local music. Right now I’m loving Ngaiire, Mansionair and LANKS.

3 Qs for ESSIE:

1. For people that haven't heard your music, describe your sound in five words...
Dreamy, 80’s nostalgic, indie/pop

2. Which three countries would you most like to tour and why?
I would love to tour Scandinavia because their music scene is epic and I love so many of the acts coming out of there! 

3. What process did you go through creating 'Electric Waves', and do you it's a process that will stick for future releases? 
Electric Wires was actually a super nomadic track. I wrote it when I was in London earlier in the year and it was produced over there by Dan Villalobos. And I recorded the vocals back home in Melbourne and got it mastered here too. I’ve spent so much time in the UK over the last couple of years so it was really fun to collaborate with a London based producer on this track.

Random Q:

What do you hope to achieve in 2017?
I'm going to record my debut EP and hopefully have it out around mid-year. I'll also have another single out early next year and have a few exciting shows planned! 

'Electric Wires' Review:
ESSIE's debut track 'Electric Wires' is a spacey, synth-filled soundscape. It's full of soulful vocals, flickering hooks and synths and a melancholy pop vibe. The song belongs in anyone's dark indie playlist and the overall moody tone contrasted with light ethereal layered vocals and synths creates a stunning sound. ESSIE has managed to embody electricity in a song and this is that... 


ESSIE's Links:

Thanks for reading!
Music In Time Blog's Links:
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Twitter: @musicintimeblog
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/MusicInTimeBlog
Enquiries: musicintimeblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment